MacroDroid Forums

A forum for discussing all things MacroDroid
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to macrodroid

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Revamp of Template Store - Give me your ideas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

One of the main things I want to focus on when I'm working on the app full time for a while is an overhaul of the template store. This is a big job and I'm probably going to have to move to a completely new server/back end to accomplish what I want.

Here are the things I'm currently thinking off adding/changing:

1) User profiles (For Pro users). Not hugely detailed but the ability to add an image and some textual description of yourself. Also I'm thinking of some kind of overall ranking so user's who have many high rated macros will have the highest score. On the user page you will also be able to see a list of all macros uploaded by the user.

2) Comments on macros (For Pro users). This would hopefully allow some localised discussion on each template so questions and discussion can be kept really local at the source.

3) Ability to upload groups of related macros. This would probably be achieved by allowing uploading of categories. I'm not quite sure if these would exist in the normal list or have a unique list for groups of macros, so I'd welcome input on this.

4) I would like to have some other views on the macros, as the highest rated view is very stale and will only ever change at glacial pace. So some other view(s) based on freshness AND rating or similar (and I welcome any other thoughts on how to make these views a little less stale)

5) This is a vague idea, but maybe some kind of monthly category that acts as almost like a competition. E.g. this month macros related to location, next month macros that are designed to be humerous etc.

The overall objective is to provide a better community for pro users. Free users will be able to view all data and download macros etc. but will not be able to contribute to the community. I hope this may be one more small incentive for a free user to upgrade.

I hope to start work on this around July time, so I'd welcome everyone's thoughts and input so I can try and make something that really adds value to the application and user experience.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Revamp of Template Store - Give me your ideas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 am 
Site Admin

I also would like to know if anyone really uses the filter features of the existing template store? It adds a lot of complexity to the back end (and client) implementation so I'd like to get a feel for the reaction if I was to remove this filtering. Some kind of general search feature would most certainly need to remain.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 am 

2. Comments on macros has the potential to open up users to abusive treatment. Would that require moderation of the template store? Having said that, I like the idea of users sharing constructive feedback.

4. Definitely would like to see a "trending" category. Would also be nice to search/filter for macros that contain certain triggers, actions, or constraints.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Admin

I think 99% of pro users will act responsibly and I will just block any user that behaves like an idiot. I had awful problems at first letting anyone upload templates and changing this to pro only users made the problems go away.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am 

Just for my idea: Do you have any idea if the Template Store is used a lot? I personally never use it, because a lot of my macro's are very specific. Creating my own is probably quicker than changing a macro (or set of macro's) to my needs.
(Although I can understand that first-time-users my fancy a pre made staring point)

Chris

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yes it is an important feature for many users and is used quite a lot judging by the network traffic being generated.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 pm 

I've been using MD for a while but still look through the template store for new ideas.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:38 am 
Site Admin

Just as an aside there are currently 3800 different templates shared, so that is a pretty significant number of macros to search through (and of course it will only keep growing).

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:59 pm 

It is very useful especially to new users. But, not all the templates work as described. So, it may be too time consuming to do, but ideally they should be tested before being included. Failing that another way would be an option to comment about a specific template and it should be right under or attached to that template. That would prevent a lot of frustration among newbies and provide a way to add an improved version right where it matters most. It would also allow the original creator of the template to respond if notified of comments.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:18 am 

Two things I would like to see:

Id like the ability to post longer descriptions and such. I have a few macros Id like to share that require some initial setup, such as my travel time one I just posted here but I dont have much room to even explain how, or post a link due to the character limit

I like the other ideas you have. I want to like the current store but its extremely stale. Id love to see more activity or monthly challenges and stuff.

Last edited by jbones on Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post