MacroDroid Forums

A forum for discussing all things MacroDroid
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to macrodroid

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: display menus with macrodroid
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:27 pm 

Hi all,

i wanna make a post about one of my favorites features in macrodroid : the menus we can make.
i had some ideas i gonna put here but will be happy if ones can improve that or had differents ideas to complete... so let's go

1/ basic menu

can be use to launch an app from a list, set a specific setting...
all we need is a dedicated category ( e,g named : « apps ») and 1 macro appart (e.g named : « launcher»), then we do :

macro « launcher »
T : icon or widget or whatever
A : run macro >> userprompt >> « apps »
c : none

category « apps »
in there we gonna put 1 macro by choice we wanna have in the menu (let's say we wanna have choice between launching firefox, opera or chrome)
macro's name will be the one of the app it gonna fire, for clarity, (e.g here macro will be name « firefox »). so :

macro « firefox »
T : empty trigger
A : launch app >> firefox
C : none
we do the same with opera then chrome and we end up with 3 macros in category « apps » and... done ; clicking the « launcher »'s trigger display a window with choice between the 3 browsers.
Improving this i'm use to add another macro which do nothing but vibrate just in case i finally don't wanna launch a browser :

macro « cancel »
T: empty trigger
A : vibration

2/ basic menu with variable

this one can be usefull in case we make a menu for a specific setting (e.g we wanna set the screen- timeout) ; at the end we gonna have the same kind of window we had above and a floating message with the current state of the setting
first we go in « macrodroid settings » >> « edit macrodroid variables » >> add ; there we make a variable string « actual », then again :

macro « timescreen »
A : run macro >> userprompt >> « level »
A : floating message : « current setting : [v=actual] » (this one display the value we gonna collect)

category « level »

macro « 15 seconds »
A : set screen timeout >> 15s
A : set macrodroid variable >> actual >> « 15 s » (here we collect value to be shown)
macro « 30 seconds »
A : set screen timeout >> 30s
A : set macrodroid variable >> actual >> « 30 s »

… and so on for each level we want

now each time we click the icon we choosed in « timescreen », it displays a window with all the choices we enabled and a floating message « current state : x » (this will be accurate if we only use « timescreen » to set it. if we have other macros elsewhere wich autoset timescreen we should add the « actual » variable's value in these too in order to make the value accurate at any time.,, given we won't make that and go in the device's settings to set timeout:) ).
we probably won't forget the timeout we had set, but this is an example, could be much more usefull with brightness or volume...

also we can use the variable in another macro elsewhere (unclassified or so...) :

macro « autoset timeout »
T : screen off
A : set screen timeout >> 30 s
A : set macrodroid variable >> actual >> « 30 s »
C : macrodroid variable >> actual != 30 s (so it won't fire anytime we turn screen off, only when it's needed)

and we can set the timeout e,g to 10 mn, do what we have to do and just turn off the screen ; it goes back to default setting,

3/ multi-choices menus

this is already pretty cool but i hear you saying « so i gonna have billions buttons in my notification's bar to set my phone, or i gonna have a 150 lines long menu... great... ». and indeed it would be pretty tedious, so we have a plan:).
Let's say for example we wan't a shortcut to a group of 15 apps we often use, but of course we don't want a 15 lines long menu,
we gonna sort our app to make e,g 3 group of 5 apps, « games », « browser », « social » for example. We make a category « groups »,and a category for each groups e;g « games_choice »,,, then we do the exact same thing we did in the basic menu with just one more step :

macro « apps »
A : run macro >> userprompt >> « groups »
c : none

category « groups »

macro « games »
A : run macro >> userprompt >> « games_choice » (here come the new step)
macro « social »
A : run macro >> userprompt >> « social_choice »
macro « browser »
A : run macro >> userprompt >> « browser_choice »
macro « cancel »
T: empty trigger
A : vibration

and then, i guess you have it :

category « games_choice »

macro app1 macro app2,,,

category « social_choice »

macro app1 macro app2,,,

category « browser_choice»

macro app1 macro app2,,,

and we end up with a first window prompting a choice between games, social or browser and then, when clicking a choice, open a window with choice betwween apps of the group, of course could be settings or whatever you want

4/ redundant multi-choices menus

in some case, we may want to be able to make many choice in a menu, for example if we make a menu to set volume, brightness, timeout or connectivity we may want this « or » to become an « and » without go back to the initial trigger each time,
so we gonna make the exact same thing as above and only change the macros in e;g «  volume_choice »
in multi choice this macro would have been :

macro « volume x »
A : volume change >> x

we just make it

macro « volume x »
A : volume change >> x
A : run macro >> userprompt >> groups (go back to initial choice)

and we do this for each macros in categories volume_choice, brigthnes_choice, timeout_choice and connectivity_choice. without forgetting to make the macro « cancel » in the category « groups » or it's a never ending story:)

this last one is a little tricky, always work for me unless i try to put a « wait » between the two actions ; i don't figure exactly why but it leads macrodroid to force close altough it works fine without pause,

here we are, this was my 2 cts for new users of this great app, feel free to comments, improve give others ideas

Last edited by wom78 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: display menus with macrodroid
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:19 am 

Nice post, I'm a big fan/user of these types of menus in MacroDroid.

I like the the floating / popup message idea.

Worth highlighting the force-close in the Help & Troubleshooting forum so Jamie spots it as a bug.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 pm 

Thanks a lot very useful information

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:44 pm 

Thanks a lot very useful information

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm 

Works fine, thanks! :-)